In an effort to solidify my knowledge of US geography, I am planning to bake one cake or pie from every state. I will document my progress on MicaPie along the way.
I am undertaking (under-baking, ho ho!) this project in the name of fun, not rigorous historical research and documentation. Many desserts appear to have somewhat fluid histories and dubious origins–who’s to say where pecan pie really originated? My goal is to bake one cake or pie from each state, not settle disputes about the precise origins of a regional favorite.
Some states have “obvious” cakes/pies, but others are a little trickier. This is where I’ll need help from you!
- Do you have a beloved family recipe for a cake or pie? (And a hilarious story to go with it?)
- Do you happen to know of a regional speciality from your hometown?
If so, please let me know! Send me an email at mllemica [at] gmail.com or leave a comment below.
As I bake my way through the US, I’ll link my posts from this page. If you send me a suggestion, I’ll do my best to document your contribution as well.
Here is my current list of ideas, but it is by no means concrete or exhaustive. If you have a suggestion, please (please!) do share! Italicized states currently have no dessert, womp womp!
Amendment (11/12/12): I am no longer excluding savory cakes and pies from this list. Bring ‘em on!
- Alabama – Lane cake OR AL layer cake OR coconut cake
- Alaska – Baked Alaska
- Arkansas – Pecan pie?
- California – Chiffon Cake
- Colorado – Loveland [early Richmond] cherry pie
- Connecticut – Hartford/Election day cake
- Delaware – Peach pie
- Florida – Key lime pie
- Georgia – Fried pies
- Hawaii – Haupia cake OR Coconut cream pie
- Illinois – Devil’s Food cake
- Indiana – Hoosier sugar cream pie
- Iowa – Pink champagne cake OR Sour cream raisin pie
- Kentucky – Kentucky jam cake OR Stack cake OR Derby pie
- Louisiana – King cake OR Crunch cake
- Maine – Whoopie pie OR ME blueberry pie
- Maryland – Smith Island cake
- Massachusetts – Boston cream pie
- Michigan – Bumpy cake
- Minnesota – Pineapple upside-down cake
- Mississippi- Mud pie
- Missouri – Gooey butter cake
- Montana – Huckleberry pie?
- New Hampshire – Old Portsmouth orange cake
- New Jersey
- New Mexico – [Sweet] empanadas?
- New York – Red velvet cake
- North Carolina – Hummingbird cake
- North Dakota
- Ohio – Coconut bars OR Buckeye pie
- Oregon – Hazelnut cake?
- Pennsylvania – Shoofly pie
- Rhode Island – Johnnycakes
- South Carolina – Lady Baltimore cake OR Charleston sweet potato pie
- South Dakota – Kuchen
- Tennessee – TN jam cake OR Caramel cake OR Stack cake
- Texas – Texas sheet cake
- Vermont – Apple Pie
- Virginia – Marble cake or Chess pie
- Washington – Caramel apple cake with cider frosting
- *Washington D.C. – Dolly Madison layer cake?