I made another skirt! I haven’t gotten up the courage to make complicated pieces of clothing yet, so I went a-huntin’ for an easy, nice-looking pattern and ended up with Oliver + S’s Everyday Skirt pattern. I’m not actually sure how I found this one since Oliver + S seems to sell mostly patterns for kids’ clothing, and we all know I’m not sewing for children…Imma’ sew for myself right now!
After my fancy lined pencil skirt with an invisible zipper, I thought the Everyday skirt would be pretty easy. I mean, it is unlined, and you can finish the seams however you want. I decided to forego a toile (rough draft) and was like, “Yep, I’ll do French seams. It’ll be easy.” I bought some teal chambray and got to work.
Except oh geeeez, pockets are way more complicated than I thought. Like, way more complicated. Plus, chambray is double-sided, so I had to mark the wrong side with chalk. And pockets are hard to make with French seams when you can’t even picture how they’re going to come together in the first place. Then I second-guessed myself about which side was which and…yeah. About halfway through, I realized that things weren’t going right AT ALL but kept going just to practice.
One pocket is oriented correctly, but the wrong side is facing out. The other pocket is a disasterbox: I accidentally sewed it to itself so you actually have to curl your fingers around to get your hand in the pocket.
Bottom line: Do a toile and don’t try to do French seams on the first try.
I went back to the Fabric Outlet and this time got some lavender chambray with a tiny herringbone pattern. With my disastrous first attempt behind me, I knew how to avoid some of my earlier mistakes. I finished the seams by stitching them 1/4″ from the raw edge and using pinking shears. Sure, it doesn’t look professional, but it has a kind of rustic charm.
I haven’t gotten to the point of being able to do alterations or changes to the pattern, but this one is so simple that I didn’t really need any. The skirt has a flat front waistband and side panels, and there’s a small bit of elastic in the back, so it fits snugly (though it does ride up a bit if I tuck my shirt in. #smallWaistProblems).
After I finished it, I wore it to work for Fancy Friday! I really like the herringbone print, which you can see in this photo.
I made good on Hus-friend’s offer to be my finished garment photographer because, let’s be honest, mirror selfies are no good. Here’s the skirt outside on a sunny San Francisco Sunday morning.
There are legit pockets in this skirt. You have to believe me…or you can just imagine that I don’t have hands.
Here’s the side view. Not sure what’s going on with my posture here.
“It’s poofing out funny,” said the Hus-friend.
So I turned to the other side. You can see a hint of the elastic waistband in the back.
I’m really happy with how this one turned out. I typically think that a lot of beginner-friendly garment patterns look, well, homemade, but I’m looking forward to wearing this one out and about. I’ll probably make another one with a more fall/winter-appropriate fabric…not that you can’t wear chambray all year round in San Francisco. I’m looking forward to making this one again, and maybe the assembly will be even smoother this time!
Pattern: Oliver + S Everyday Skirt [Digital pattern--I printed, cut, and assembled the tiles, then I traced the size onto interfacing and cut that out.]
Materials: Lavender herringbone chambray from the Fabric Outlet
Alterations: None [but I cut the bottom a bit before hemming so it would hit just above the knee.]